GDM Splash Screen Question

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jan 3 16:19:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 17:58 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> David Zeuthen wrote:
> >>
> >> The GNOME splash screen has been disabled upstream intentionally.
> >
> > True. We might look at enabling for live CD due to the fact that it
> > takes, sometimes, several minutes for the desktop session to start.
>
> Indeed, it was one of the big annoyances of the live CD. This part of
> the boot process felt very slow compared with other live CDs.

Yeah. IIRC, it started becoming really slow (as opposed to just slow)
when we added SCIM; probably worth profiling / filing bugs.

For example, for English and most European locales input methods are not
needed at all so we should be smart about things and don't automatically
load it. However, for e.g. Chinese and many others locales it's
fundamentally needed so it needs to be on the live CD at least as long
as we have one live CD for all territories.

That might change though; e.g. we might have separate ones for;
Americas/Europe, Eastern Europe, Africa, India, Asia/Pacific or some
other way of breaking it down.

      David