First Boot Question

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 4 00:43:27 UTC 2007

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 09:15 -0500, John Baer wrote:
>> I noticed on the First Boot screen there is an icon to the left of the
>> word "Welcome". Where does it come from?

>     easiest (and it's not easy at all) way at this point is to inspect
>     the source code; e.g. download the source SRPM and go through the
>     source.

Firstboot is written in python so you don't have to download the SRPM
(you would probably want to download the SRPM if you were going to
submit a patch though.) You can look at the source of firstboot on a
Fedora system by looking in /usr/share/firstboot/modules and searching
through the file for the screen you're interested in. You're interested
in the welcome screen so open up /usr/share/firstboot/modules/welcome.py
and grep around for 'png':

title_pix = functions.imageFromFile("workstation.png")

I think this means it's /usr/share/firstboot/pixmaps/workstation.png (my
guess based on the top of /usr/share/firstboot/functions.py). (Note I'm
doing this on an FC5 system, the exact path in FC6 may be different...)
If the path is different from /usr/share/firstboot/pixmaps I think it
will show the full path (e.g., from timezone.py 'self.icon =
functions.imageFromPath("/usr/share/system-config-date/pixmaps/system-config-date.png"'))