GDM themes/face browser

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Fri Jan 12 15:17:03 UTC 2007

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>
>> 'Standard image size: 48×48 or 64×64 – currently undecided'
>>
>> Maybe it should be the same size as some of the avatars or buddy icons
>> that are already in wide use today? E.g. livejournal avatars are
>> 100x100 and aim buddy icons are 50x50. There's already a lot of these
>> icons that are easily available for users to add in for themselves.
>
> I think this pretty much depend on how we want the GDM screen to look.
> And for our large screens I think 50x50 is to low. Depending on the
> layout, even 100x100 may be low.
>
> I *think* the largest size for a buddy icon in Gaim is 96x96 (gaim 2.0,
> conversation window).

Yeh, I'm just thinking about all those sites like www.imbuddy.net that
have tons and tons of the 50x50 icons for people to use - even sometimes
places release official buddy icons for their movies, TV series, or
music albums (snakes on a plane and battlestar galactica official buddy
icons are a couple examples)

If the technical max is 128x128 maybe 100x100 is a good size because
there are also a ton of icons available at that size already (See
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=2oN&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=livejournal+icons&spell=1)

I guess my point is rather than trying to set a new standard, maybe go
with one that's already out there and gives folks a LOT more choices.