Fedora 8 theme requests

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Wed Jul 4 19:48:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 08:36 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Daniel Geiger wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I think it would be very good to have a unique Fedora sound theme
> > (Ubuntu has one of its own, one that seems very polished compared to the
> > default Gnome sounds).  What would it take to do so?
>
> To put it simply: we don't have yet contributors able and wiling to a
> new sound theme.
> The bunch of us here are mostly skilled with graphics. And arguably,
> working on sounds has a higher barrier to entry: on top of skill and
> experience you need also some hardware and software, the hardware cost
> money and the software for sound processing is not very well present in
> Linux/FOSS.

I have quite good skill in playing musical instruments... but never
composed anything - especially not desktop music. Fugue would be
easier :-D But anyway, I think, for creating good music/sound you need
not good software/hardware. Just pencil, paper, musical instrument,
skill and decent microphone... Audacity can do the rest ;-) I hope we'll
eventually find one to do the sound theme, but probably we should focus
now rather on graphics related things...

> > Also, if there are not plans already for this, I would like to see
> > Firefox and OpenOffice have an Echo icon theme enabled by default (I
> > believe again, Ubuntu has something like that, only not installed by
>
> OpenOffice.org need a very large number of icons, Firefox also need some
> more icons and only a few people work on Echo, all of them in their
> spare time. Is a problem of manpower.
> And we are somewhat split in the opinion *if* Echo is the future for
> Fedora (for example, there is a number of supporters for a personalized
> version of Tango, just like Ubuntu do and a small number of supporters
> of a renewed Bluecurve).

In case of Firefox I started a theme some months ago, but I stopped
doing it since I switched from firefox to epiphany, I was not much
skilled in the theme creation (i.e. I was not well acquainted with the
theme settings, subfolders, etc.), was a bit short of time, and Echo
wasn't complete enough. I can post somewhere what I did so far, but the
graphic part would need to be updated (to fit the current Echo, and I
had it without shadows) and not all was done. If there is anyone
interested just ask :)

> > default, AFAIK).  Another Firefox/OpenOffice wish, they don't exactly
> > integrate as well with gtk; is there any way to fix that?
>
> And the integration would be even lower without the hard work done
> upstream by a number of Red Hat developers. The integration is better
> with every new release.

I am hoping for the best. Yet meanwhile, if we create Fedora gtk theme
(and if it would be chosen as default), we could do the firefox theme to
fit the rest of Fedora as well (including widgets)... But it's a hack -
i.e. if user switches to some other theme/icons, the firefox will remain
same (one of the reasons I switched to epiphany).

Just my 2 cents,