The process is confusing, the red tape frustrating.

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Jul 11 06:48:02 UTC 2007

John Baer wrote:
> On 7/9/07, Mairin Duffy wrote:
>
>     I do not believe the practice of using other's work without citing it,
>     even if it's scratch work, in a public forum is really acceptable just
>     out of respect for other artists, you know? Even here when we build on
>     each other's work I've noticed we've been very good about stating whose
>     works we built upon. I think it's a good practice even outside of the
>     fact that the CLA requires it, honestly.
>
> However, how would you or I know if the artwork is original? Is it safe
> to assume it is unless otherwise stated?

Yes, lacking a statement the default assumption is that the work is
original and owned by the contributor.

> I would never blast you the way Nicu blasted me, but I assume the

Sorry if I was too strong and offended you.
I just know you to certain degree (as well as other contributors here
and their work) and I don't know you as a photographer, so I made the
assumption those photos are not yours (as opposed of what should be the
default assumption in the lack of a statement)

> photo's on your submission are yours as you have not made a statement of
> attribution.

Now is time to offend Mairin :p (my apologies in advance): on top of the
fact she already stated the photos are made by her, you can see from the
photos that they are not made by someone which has not the first job as
a photographer and may use also some post-processing (they are not
finished works, but some of them look better than the other).

> Do you need to? ;)
>
> Finally, wouldn't these rules apply to all forms of artwork?

Definitely, this should apply to all forms of intellectual creation, not
only artwork, it is the same for code.