Fedora 8 theme requests

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Jul 4 06:36:27 UTC 2007

Daniel Geiger wrote:
> Hi,
> I think it would be very good to have a unique Fedora sound theme
> (Ubuntu has one of its own, one that seems very polished compared to the
> default Gnome sounds).  What would it take to do so?

To put it simply: we don't have yet contributors able and wiling to a
new sound theme.
The bunch of us here are mostly skilled with graphics. And arguably,
working on sounds has a higher barrier to entry: on top of skill and
experience you need also some hardware and software, the hardware cost
money and the software for sound processing is not very well present in
Linux/FOSS.

> Also, if there are not plans already for this, I would like to see
> Firefox and OpenOffice have an Echo icon theme enabled by default (I
> believe again, Ubuntu has something like that, only not installed by

OpenOffice.org need a very large number of icons, Firefox also need some
more icons and only a few people work on Echo, all of them in their
spare time. Is a problem of manpower.
And we are somewhat split in the opinion *if* Echo is the future for
Fedora (for example, there is a number of supporters for a personalized
version of Tango, just like Ubuntu do and a small number of supporters
of a renewed Bluecurve).

> default, AFAIK).  Another Firefox/OpenOffice wish, they don't exactly
> integrate as well with gtk; is there any way to fix that?

And the integration would be even lower without the hard work done
upstream by a number of Red Hat developers. The integration is better
with every new release.