Making Fedora Default Theme (release independent stuff)

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Jul 5 06:04:59 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:

> 1. do we want a default Fedora artwork?

Not sure, is tempting but is would be a high maintenance burden.

I would use an upstream theme with a few customizations to add a bit of
personality.

> 2. do we want to look KDE and GNOME artwork same/similar?

In the extremely rare occasion when I fire up an application from the
*other* DE, I would prefer it to not look alien among my other applications.

But this will come with a high maintenance price and a huge flamewar
("they dumbed down my DE of choice!!!")

> 3. if we do want, who is to decide which one will it be?

Considering how the decision where made so far, I think the final say
here will be from the Red Hat Desktop Team, they are the "official"
maintainers.

> 4. is it good to make an n-round competition or just let something to
> emerge from the wide community combined efforts?

I don't think we have enough people skilled in GTK+ themes for a
competition, but I would like to be proven wrong :p

> 5. is the art-list the proper for this discussion or some other lists
> needs to be included as well (e.g. fedora-desktop, fedora-devel)?

Not sure, at least a big part of it is better suited for fedora-desktop,
but this topic is closely related to both.

> 6. could it be considered as a 'feature'?

As in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/FeatureList ?
Only if we have realistic expectation for it to make into the release.

my 2 cents...