[Fedora 8 theme proposal] Fedora Nodoka Round 1

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jul 7 12:42:15 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:

> As for the rpm. I've just created it [1]. As for the performance - I
> tested only metacity theme, I don't know how to do benchmark on gtk
> theme, but Daniel says murrine engine is faster then clearlooks. Here
> are the results for metacity:
>
> $ metacity-theme-viewer Clearlooks
> Loaded theme "Clearlooks" in 0.01 seconds
> Drew 100 frames in 0.17 client-side seconds (1.7 milliseconds per frame)
> and 0.324083 seconds wall clock time including X server resources
> (3.24083 milliseconds per frame)
>
> $ metacity-theme-viewer Nodoka
> Loaded theme "Nodoka" in 0.01 seconds
> Drew 100 frames in 0.08 client-side seconds (0.8 milliseconds per frame)
> and 0.141556 seconds wall clock time including X server resources
> (1.41556 milliseconds per frame)

Nodaka is considerably faster here. Are you using the Murrine or
Clearlooks engine? I have heard that Murrine is faster and more
customizable too.

I have installed the package and will be using it for sometime and hope
to give more detailed comments. Some initial feedback:

It has a distinctive look. Theme appears to be more glossy than the
current default. The title bar and especially the minimize, maximize and
close buttons are rather large. I don't see the tab like effect in the
menus that was there in some of the mockups. Can you add that? The
scroll bar blue matches the window buttons but the title bar is a darker
blue. Should that somehow match? We should probably have darker as well
as ally variants.

Rahul