F8 artwork

Ben Arnold ben.arnold.inbox at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 13:25:19 UTC 2007

On 06/06/07, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:

> - Personally, I'd like to explore a somewhat different style of artwork
> for F8; something much less branded and image-based (maybe stripes :-)
> -- if only because the F7 artwork is pretty much at the top of the
> quality scale for this kind of heavily image-based, branded artwork (as
> the initial F7 reviews show), and will be hard to top...

It will be very difficult to beat the FC5/6/7 artwork (I prefered the
6 then 5). The stripes were nice in FC5 Bubbles but got a bit tiresome
after a few months. I think I shall try some vector-style stuff like
my Arty Farty wallpaper (more later) which is clean yet has a good
impact.

> - I haven't heard much about the status of the Echo icon theme lately;
> are you hoping to have this in good enough shape to become the default
> in F8 ?  We also need to redo the experiment to include svns.

I hope to find some time durig the summer to continue work on Echo, I
have been swamped with college work lately as I am reaching the big
crescendo and final project. I also am on holiday for the first two
weeks in July but after that, I'm all yours ;-)

On 06/06/07, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> I agree about exploring a new style because I think we should bring
> something fresh in each release and because is fun to explore different
> styles.

+1, as I say I liked the FC5 style. My current desktops are pretty
minimal as they are colourful yet not distracting.

On 06/06/07, Máirín Duffy <duffy at redhat.com> wrote:

> 2) We should have a general discussion here on list to get our thoughts
> out on where F8's artwork could go. What desktop wallpaper are you using
> these days? Have you seen any cool ones lately? Seen any cool current
> graphic design in general lately?

As I say, my desktop's are fairly minimal.

Elements for my E17 :
http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4elementsfedorakp0.jpg
Arty Farty in my KDE : http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=artyfartyvb9.jpg
FreeBSD wallpaper :
http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=freebsdwallpaperbg5.png

Some kind of designs like this can be trendy but carefully worked!

http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=homebackgreenbdx7.gif
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50077920/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46129029/

On 06/06/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> Daring thought : have a non-blue wallpaper (blue is great but there
> are other colors too. Fedora theming have bordered on the monochrome
> those past releases)

I'm afraid I'm against that as the blue is all over the place; the
logo colours and prominent areas of Echo icons are various shades of
blue.

On 06/06/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> One thing that has frequently been mentioned by some reviews including
> the distrowatch one at
> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070604#feature is that the
> clearlooks theme looks distinctly dry compared to the polished artwork
> in GDM, wallpaper etc. I think folks are looking for a more glossy theme.

Heh, I'm runnning Enlightenment E17, Entrace and all :-)

On 07/06/07, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:

> I am for focusing on the concept (metaphor), illustrated with just a
> single image (wallpaper), I think we can mentally extrapolate from it
> and have a good idea about how it work for the other elements.

Me too, I have found creating the wallpaper and then expanding into
other areas to be the easiest and it create a more unified look. Maybe
using the GDM themes etc. as colourful backgrounds without much detail
might work depending on the individual design.

> Punctually, I think we should stay with blue as the dominant color and
> agree about reducing the usage of the logo.

I quite like the logo on my wallpapers, even if it is small. This will
help with the identification from screenshots.