F8 artwork

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 21:57:58 UTC 2007

Scattershot comments follow so I can get them out of my Drafts folder.
As a non-artist contributor, I reserve the right to be completely
ignored. ;-)

On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 10:04 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Ben Arnold wrote:
> > Some kind of designs like this can be trendy but carefully worked!
> >
> > http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=homebackgreenbdx7.gif
> > http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50077920/
> > http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46129029/
>
> Ooh I like those last two.
>
> Have you ever seen JDe's work on deviantart? I've been following her for
> a while, she does that style a lot. She is quite good at integrating
> vector art with photomanips. Some of my favorites of hers:
[...snip...]

I *LOVE* these kinds of vector/photorealistic combo styles.  Provided
the results could be made usable for the desktop (i.e. not clashing hard
with usability viz. icons scattered on the workspace), this seems like
an excellent way to go for F8.  I know there's a bit of grumbling about
blue, but IYAM that is a very general way to brand our desktop without
overtly sticking so much logo{text,mark} in it.

And speaking of icons, I want to mention again that some (?) of the Echo
icons need revisiting for usability.  Often these shapes are completely
indistinguishable at small sizes, which happens frequently on 1280x960+
resolution monitors, both desktop and laptop.  Those resolutions are no
longer premium-priced gadgetry for the rich and famous.  I still think
the Tango SVG+XSLT solution is a very cool one, although I wonder if the
short timescale for F8 release makes this unworkable until F9.

Anyway, just my $0.02.  I know Máirín and Fedora Artwork can do an
excellent job leading the charge for a superb F8.