F8 artwork

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 16:24:53 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 17:55 -0400, Máirí­n Duffy wrote:
> Well, I think there are two things we can do to help avoid the issues
> we had last release:
>
> - We should be as open and as transparent as possible wrt our progress
> on the themes. We should post to Planet Fedora for example, at least
> every two weeks on the situation so there are no surprises for anyone
> involved by the time the 3rd and final theme deadline is reached.
> Remember also that the major bits need to be implemented by the final
> deadline so hopefully we will have folks from Desktop assisting with
> that process thus they'll be aware of the stuff we're coming up with and
> be able to give their input.

Hitting the nail on the head, excellent.

> - We could have a representative of Desktop team and a representative of
> the Fedora board to give a signoff on the final theme design, to make
> sure they agree its a proper representation of Fedora and the desktop.
> We should make sure each of these representatives is made aware of how
> we're doing along with posting our updates.
>
> Sound reasonable? Paul is already our representative to the Board I
> think; would you be willing to be the desktop liaison, Matthias?

I'll no longer be with the Board shortly, since my seat is up for
elections Real Soon Now, but it's not like they're going to sever lines
of communication with me or anything.  If they think they still need
this liaison position to be a Board member, that's fine; otherwise I'm
happy to help out in whatever capacity they'd like.

> >> Do these dates make sense? If so, would anybody object to me going ahead
> >> and announcing the F8 theme process? - I'm thinking a Fedora News
> >> announcement, here on this list + marketing + websites list,
> >> fedoraforum.org, and I can make a post on Fedora Planet as well.
> >
> > I think the dates are just fine, go ahead with the announcements.
>
> Will do :)

+1

> >> - Milestone 4: Mon 10 Sept - concept discussion for F8 marketing
> >> materials on the marketing list. Come up with a standard tagline for the
> >> release the way we did "Reach higher" for the new static FPO website,
> >> and maybe some promo banner ideas as well.
> >
> > This is fine.
> > If I understand you correctly, the tagline is related to the graphic
> > theme (DNA - Evolved, FlyingHigh - Reach higher)
>
> Yep exactly, so it makes sense to come up with this after the graphic
> theme is decided.

This is a really well-coordinated plan of attack; I like it!

> >> - Milestone 5: Mon 24 Sept - finalize artwork/design for F8 DVD/CD
> >> labels and sleeves. At least a professional-printer (eg screenprinting)
> >> ready version of each needs to be made of the labels - 3 or 4 colors at
> >> most. An additional set with more colors / more complex design could
> >> also be prepared for home users with inkjet printers.
> >
> > Is not this a little earlier? Those last milestones my go in parallel
> > schedule, CD covers are not blockers for screenshots in the press kit
> > and are not blocked by the promo banners, all of them use the release
> > theming as a root.
>
> Do you think the promo kit should come first? I was thinking that a lot
> of folks block on the disc designs, folks who are holding launch events
> and magazines and such. And the disc designs could be included in the
> promo kit.
>
> > Anyway, we should create a page similar to the ThemingOverview for all
> > those marketing related graphics, as a central point of reference.
> +1
>
> >> - Milestone 7: Mon 15 October - finalize fedoraproject.org promotional
> >> materials. Probably will consist of: (1) F8 tour with screenshots, (2)
> >> big promo banner for the front page of the site at launch time. Work
> >> with the websites and infrastructure teams to get a staging site set up
> >> and ready to go for the final release date.
> >
> > Another "yes" from me on this.
> >
> > Maybe yet another milestone working with the documentation people on the
> > Firefox start page?
>
> This is a great idea, I totally forget this. We could include this task
> in the milestone with the FPO materials.

In your defense, this was a very late-start issue we tried to handle for
F7 and just couldn't get it off the ground with everything else going
on.  I'll be happy to help get any design stuff into our CVS, etc., of
course.

> >> Also to make my meaning clear, by 'basic' I'm thinking just an abstract
> >> (likely blue) graphic style with a plain Fedora logo and that's it. No
> >> balloons, dna, bubbles, or anything like that. :) So it could have a
> >> style, and that style could even complement what the theme is, but it
> >> wouldn't have the balloons or whatever the theme element is in it. (Does
> >> that make sense?)
> >
> > Say instead something like "Tentacles" or "GNOME Curves" (with a Fedora
> > touch) from the default selection of wallpapers and I am sold.
>
> +1 Something along those lines with a small Fedora logo is what I was
> thinking "basic" would be.

Great!  It is really good to see the open discussions spinning up around
a well thought out strategy and timeline.  I think folks who are under
the impression "How can it get any better?" are in for a *big* surprise.