F8 artwork

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 13:05:22 UTC 2007

Some unsorted thoughts to start a discussion about artwork for F8:

- As most people will probably have noticed by now, Diana is longer with
Red Hat, and it looks unlikely that we will have a full-time artist that
can help with the artwork in time for F8.

- Personally, I'd like to explore a somewhat different style of artwork
for F8; something much less branded and image-based (maybe stripes :-)
-- if only because the F7 artwork is pretty much at the top of the
quality scale for this kind of heavily image-based, branded artwork (as
the initial F7 reviews show), and will be hard to top...

- The desktop team has started to work on improving the graphical boot
(see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBetterStartup ). If
we can land this for F8, it will will mean quite a few changes to what
artwork is required for branding the boot (all for the better, less
images and less awkward restrictions on image formats). It is however,
blocking on kernel feature that we are currently not very confident to
have in the F8 timeframe.

- I haven't heard much about the status of the Echo icon theme lately;
are you hoping to have this in good enough shape to become the default
in F8 ?  We also need to redo the experiment to include svns.

Matthias