F8 artwork

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Jun 7 08:18:05 UTC 2007

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> Do you think is the case for us to start a 3 round process similar
>> with the one proposed for F7? -
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/FC7Themes
>> We can easily adapt it with dates following the F8 schedule.
>
> +1

OK, I quickly kicked a page in the wiki with content mostly
copied/adapted from the F7 page and all dates put as TBD:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F8Themes

> I do not think that it's a matter of being 'hard to top', though. I

Indeed, the perception of the artwork is so subjective that is
impossible to define "hard to top"

> think especially for the artwork that is not easily changed by end users
> (wallpaper and GDM theme are easiest to swap out), we have to think
> about the artwork forcing a particular theme down user's throats when

Maybe we will think again and include at least the graphics for the
previous release by default to leave a bit of choice for the users

> their tastes are quite different. E.g., there's balloons in grub, if I
> like a dark techno/shiny look for my system - well that's not going to
> really jive with the fun happy balloons I will have to see up until
> login ;-). It's not easy to switch those out. (I've seen quite a few
> complaints to this end on fedoraforum and on IRC.)

With RHGB being the hardest to switch, but RHGB is on its way out.
Either way we take, some users will prefer something different.

> We also want to make it easier for folks to remix and customize Fedora
> for redistribution. We will make this much more difficult for these
> folks if every nook and cranny of the OS has overly thematic artwork.
> Fedora is even more of an 'upstream' now.

How about two version of the artwork, a basic one and a derivative of it
for the final desktop, the derivative being on equal foot with other
derivative distros can do?

> With those things in mind, a good approach I think could be to focus on
> the wallpaper and GDM and tone down the rest. We can still make a big
> impression and 'keep up the tradition' or whatever, and use the
> wallpaper and gdm theme to showcase what FOSS graphics tools can do, but
> still keep happy those folks who like personalizing their desktop and
> don't agree with our style by leaving the rest plainer in comparison.

I am even stronger: for now we should focus on a metaphor (along the
lines of DNA and FlyingHigh), the rest is implementation detail.

> I can think of two potential next steps -
>
> 1) Let's start the theme concept 3-round process again. Let's nail down
> all the details right here ASAP so we can write up the announcement -
> what parts of the theme will be 'thematic' vs which will be toned down,
> and a schedule of how the round process will go. I propose that we
> basically announce that this go-round we are focusing mainly on the
> wallpaper and login designs to serve as the 'showcase' for the release's
> artwork, and the rest of the artwork (whatever the bootup process will
> entail, whether it be something new or grub/rhgb, and the
> installer/firstboot artwork) will be toned-down and less thematic.

I am for focusing on the concept (metaphor), illustrated with just a
single image (wallpaper), I think we can mentally extrapolate from it
and have a good idea about how it work for the other elements.

Punctually, I think we should stay with blue as the dominant color and
agree about reducing the usage of the logo.

> 2) We should have a general discussion here on list to get our thoughts
> out on where F8's artwork could go. What desktop wallpaper are you using
> these days? Have you seen any cool ones lately? Seen any cool current

Right now I am using the darker variant of FlyingHigh posted eralier on
this list by Kelly:
http://crystalsanctuary.rpgsource.net/dp_stuff/fedora/flyinghigh.jpg but
this is something of the past, F8 has to be different.

> graphic design in general lately? Have an idea for a nice style we could
> use? Send it to the list and we can discuss and try to come up with a
> general style to push for. :) What kinds of feedback have you heard on
> the Fedora 7 theme? What have you heard about other distro's themes? Do
> we want to get into photomanip, 3d rendering, vector-based, or some
> combo of the three?

I would wait to see the ideas to come and judge later which style of
work fit it better. And we may expect the unexpected (like how Mola
surprised everybody with his 3D take for DNA).

Question: F7 changed the icon theme to Myst partly to match the blue of
the rest of the desktop. We will do something similar in F8 or the
opposite (do the desktop artwork to fit the icon theme). The same about
Metacity.