Getting a better sense of community - gallery based groups

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Mar 7 08:48:00 UTC 2007

Máirín Duffy wrote:

> I set up a page to try to capture all this discussion:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/Communication

You summed well the issue.

I added to the "Ideas" list a few words about Coppermine (another widely
used php web gallery) which may be made to produce RSS feeds with a
plugin and a few more words about thumbnails in the feeds from ccHost
(we will need to patch Planet to use them, Planet does not support
<media:thumbnail> nor <enclosure> tags).

> As noted on the page from the discussions we had on the infrastructure
> list, it seems that to move forward, we need to:
>
> * Formally define our requirements
>
> * File an RFR (request for resources) with the infrastructure team once
> we work out our requirements.
>
> I took a quick stab at a requirements list:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/Communication#head-d5fb254365e4065b55a41bf5adabfe5681b97f55
>
> What do you think? Am I missing anything? Disagree with the priority of
> any of the items? It's on the wiki, so feel free to discuss and
> modify. :)

The priority is good, unfortunately our first priorities are the hardest
to find in the existing solutions.

I added another item, but it may be merged with the second one (any
other source art): we may want tar.gz and .xpm (with a PNG thumbnail) if
we want to host GDM or GRUB themes.

> It may just be that we discuss this with the Infrastructure Team and
> find out they might not have time for a while, so we stick with say
> DeviantArt or Flickr and just have a planet feed of our artwork for now,
> and later on the Infrastructure Team might help us build out what we
> need. Or maybe they'd have time now. So I think moving forward we'll
> either end up in one of those two scenarios. If we end up in the first
> one though we'll need to decide what system we want to go with in the
> meantime.

Either way we end up with the hosting, aggregation will be needed, so I
say we can go ahead ask the Infrastructure for a Planet install first.

I would like to hear about hosting solutions also from the other members
of the team, have you experience with such systems? Even with those we
talked about (Gallery, Coppermine, ccHost). Freshmeat has plenty of
projects listed:
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=gallery&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

--
nicu