document-page-setup or/and document-properties icon mockups.

Ben Arnold ben.arnold.inbox at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 22:02:10 UTC 2007

On 07/03/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> Diana Fong wrote:
>
> > I also would like to hear opinions about the use of the wrench or
> > screwdriver + hammer metaphor currently used to represent 'properties'
> > and 'setup' throughout the desktop, and how the use of the microscope
> > can cause confusion.
> setup is very different from properties. You go into setup to change
> stuff and have access to configuration utilities. OTOH properties are
> mostly used in passive look-at-it context, and a lot of properties are
> static

Setup for base settings while properties are per-session or document?

If I'm honest, the microscope would not work as well as a metaphor
because that says 'search' or 'analyse' to me rather than properties.
That said, I always look for the text alongside that icon because it
is an easily identifiable word but that doesn't excuse it in toolbars.
The doc-prop-4 without the cog to the bottom-right and the single
spanner in #2 are my personal favourites. I think #4 would fit in more
with the other action emblems and #4 gives across the idea of more
core/basic settings well.

My 2p.

./b

--