mockup for user information interface

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 19:48:46 UTC 2007

>     Hope this feedback helps. Even though I do not agree with the changes
>     you have made in this mockup, it is clear that you are quite good at
>     working with graphics tools so I hope you will stick around and are
>     willing to learn more about interface design!
>

> insulting me on my graphics design isn`t nice :P btw..

Hey now Mark, I was not insulting your graphics design skills at all! I
> was complimenting them. What I was suggesting you might look to do is
> work on understanding some interface design principles. It is one thing
> to mock up a pretty interface (which you are clearly capable of), but it
> is quite a bit more complicated to mock up a pretty interface that is
> also usable and fits within the established conventions, right?
> Remember, you actively sought feedback here, and I am just trying to
> provide you with feedback to help you improve. I am not trying to insult
> you at all. I hope you can understand?

o damn.. mistake :P in your first reply i read: "it is clear that you are
NOT quite good....." but that "not" wasn`t even in there :P i don`t know why
i read it that way.. sorry. thanx for the compliment ^_^

and:
"I am not trying to insult you at all. I hope you can understand?"

i completely understand it ^_^ thanx.

> What is the advantage of the edit in place over the current label + form
> field model?

well.. with edit in place you have it in a way better looking design and is
(in my opinion) alot more user friendly. perhaps a edit in place with a
small icon bisides it that indicates that you can edit it. thinking ahead is
also possible instead of sticking with the current gnome HIG :) (btw.. i
looked over some pages in the current HIG and i can`t really say that it`s a
good example.. it looks like it`s from the windows 3.1 age (about 20 years
ago)) things need to go forward if that`s a improvement ofcause.

Where does the logo photo preferences window come from?

i browsed through the gnome menu`s and found it... nothing special

Do you see how in the current screen, the shortcuts are underlined? How
> would a user know to hit Ctrl + U? Also, is the Ctrl + U key combination
> bound to some other function? (probably)

no.. lets just do that the same way it was done before. otherwise users can
browse through the fields with the TAB button on the keyboard.

Yep, I hope you haven't been too turned off and can take this as a
> learning experience?

hehe don`t worry
i`m learning from this :)

and some more stuff i might forgor to mention...
in the current gnome (all apps) i hate it that it`s not as "feeling natural"
as i would like it to be and that alot parts are looking like: "quickly done
and it works so leave it alone" jobs (sorry if i offended anyone) but now
that the linux community is growing alot (specially fedora) i think it`s
time to spend some time in the user interfaces aswell instead of only
improving the coding (not that improving the coding is wrong.. absolutely
not) gnome just misses alot of things that i miss and i try to improve it a
bit by contibuting. in this case it`s a mockup but i`ve also reported a few
bugs and uasbillity issues (like that thumbnails are way out of scale
compared to icons and truncating long text and another one.. don`t know
which one it was)

this mockup might not really improve the way gnome works but it`s surely
improving the user settings panel.

o and i took the Live CD because my fc7 test 2 installation decided to kill
itself with printscreen (reported on bugzilla)

waiting for reply`s :)
Mark.