document-page-setup or/and document-properties icon mockups.

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Mar 14 21:29:30 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 14 mars 2007 à 20:17 +0100, Martin Sourada a écrit :
> There seems to be no other comments or suggestions regarding these icons, so,
> would everyone agree if I use the wrench (with orange handle) for
> document-properties and page with wrench for document-page-setup?

I still don't like an active metaphor like the wrench for
document-properties but at least it's a bit less ambiguous than a cog.
IMHO (and maybe that's more evident to me because I'm no native english
speaker) you're confusing properties as in document metadata with
properties as in application settings.

If I saw a wrench in an office suite menu I'd be thinking "this is where
I can change the application behaviour" not "this is where I can look at
the document summary and maybe fill it in". I don't think of office
documents as automatons, so there's no cogs in them to tweak with a
wrench. Maybe the menu label would disambiguate but if you need some
text to understand an icon maybe the icon is bad.

If I'm the only one to think this, feel free to ignore me.

--
Nicolas Mailhot