New projekt? Echo cursor theme

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Mar 21 14:07:34 UTC 2007

Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> with Ben Arnold's throbber animation it came to my mind, that fedora uses the
> same cursors red hat used for years - bluecurve. I think, as we replacing the

IIRC, the current cursor theme is not that old as Bluecurve, but
certainly is made some years ago.

> old bluecurve icon theme with new one, we could do the same with the rest of the
> artwork. So what about making an Echo cursor theme? It could use similar

I don't think anyone would oppose such a project. Start a cursor theme
and if it will look better then probably it will be used.

> guidelines to Echo icons' and could be (basically) derived from an arrow in
> applications-internet icon [1]. What do you think?

Currently Bluecurve have two sets of icons: normal (black) and inverse
(white). Probably it would be a good idea to keep using two sets (in
fact there are 4 sets, the two are duplicate for left hand users, but
this is just mirroring).

A cursor theme has a relatively small number of images, so the quantity
is not the main problem, the main problem is optimizing the images for
small size display.

And my two cents: usually the mouse cursor is shown over a light
background, so I think a dark theme make sense as the default.

notes:
- for reference, here you can download the Bluecurve icon thmemes:
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bluecurve/browser/bluecurve/cursors
(use anonymous git, the web interface has a bug and will not allow
downloads)
- unfortunately, we don't have a vector version so you have to start
from scratch or edit the raster version

--
nicu