Fedora 7 CD Labels & Covers

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon May 28 08:57:59 UTC 2007

Le dimanche 27 mai 2007 à 23:27 -0400, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 01:22 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > >
> > > Please, don't fall in the "coverage rathole" as Owen likes to call it.
> > > There are more important qualities of a font that covering as much as
> > > possible of Unicode.
> >
> > That's a very US-centric view and one reason we almost had a Greek
> > revolt a few releases back.
> >
> > I suppose I should make pretty labels like Owen. "redneck guetto" comes
> > to mind.
> >

> I'm all for supporting all the worlds language. I don't agree that the
> best way to achieve that is stuffing all the glyphs in a single font.

Well, I don't agree that having many Unicode blocks supported by a
single font automatically make this font a "rathole", and this stupid
prejudice made us waste months/years because some people (including
Owen) wouldn't look at the actual fonts and decided from unicode
coverage metrics they must be bad (what turned out to be bad was bugs &
lack of support for OpenType features in our font infrastructure).

> Does that make me a redneck ? I don't think so.

It makes you a redneck when you decide a font is bad just by looking at
it's coverage numbers.

Anyway, this battle has already been fought, every year brings FLOSS and
proprietary fonts with wider coverage because that's what the market and
users want, and even the puny latin/greek/cyrillic Liberation sports
today would have been considered insane by "coverage rathole" people
three years ago.

I'd be nice if the same old tired "unicode → bad" argument was not
brought up every other month though.

--
Nicolas Mailhot