Fedora 7 CD Labels & Covers

Máirí­n Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Fri May 25 22:52:52 UTC 2007

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> So? Are you suggesting it would be a good thing if CD/DVD look diverged
> significantly from the Fedora desktop ones? We sync the sleeve
> decorations and colours with the release default background. Why should
> we not sync the sleeve fonts with the default desktop fonts? Fonts
> contribute to the theming too.

Maybe I can help give a little perspective here?

That the fonts complement each other on the desktop and in marketing
materials like wallpapers/theme, and print materials like DVD sleeves
and posters, etc. is important, of course. They do not, however, have to
be the same font. It does indeed *sound* like a good idea but from my
POV as someone who has a lot of experience designing both for-print and
for-screen materials, who'd like us designing compelling print and
marketing materials, I don't think it's a reasonable thing to expect.

Maybe I am just being a silly designer here, but fonts that look good in
print can be quite different than fonts that look good on screen! Fonts
that are used for marketing materials, eg for titling ('Live CD x86')
are not necessarily the fonts you want to use for large bodies of text
meant to be read comfortably on a screen! Does that mean we should limit
ourselves to using fonts that were designed for screen on marketing
materials? I don't think we should.

> Moreover the desktop and art team have mostly the same font constraints
> (put FLOSS projects first, provide readable text to the same users with
> the same langages & scripts, etc). So distribution font choices are
> certainly relevant to the art team.

Readable on screen != readable in print. Stylish for a creative
treatment != readable on screen. Etc. etc :)

My POV, the more free & open fonts provided by default in the distro,
the merrier.