F9 Name Proposal

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Tue Nov 13 19:05:54 UTC 2007

"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 12, 2007 10:58 PM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
>> Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
>> > Simply - Owl, Nightbird, Humming or Bird :) .
>>
>> I absolutely hate to be "that guy" but... the name decision is not ours
>> (Art Team) to make and traditionally now is also too early for it.
>
> Is it too early? I think there are proposed changes for the
> development process which would put the "naming" process earlier in
> part to get the art team time to have the option to build a theme
> associated with the codename.
>
> Regardless of when it happens, there are established rules for the
> name game, which I assume people in this thread are not aware of.
> Names between releases must relate.  Release N+1 must be named such
> that releaser N+1 relates to N, such that releases N+1 and N-1 are not
> similarly related.  So we can for example just keep picking city names
> or flower names over and over again.
>
> The rules for F9 as I understand them are:
> The relationship that connects Moonshine and Werewolf cannot be re-used.
> The F9 name and werewolf must share are "both are" relationship.
> The F9 name and moonshine must not share a "both are" relationship
> You also should provide an obvious next relationship that can be used
> to connect the name to F9 to F10
>
> The "Unicorn" example I provided follows the name game rules. I stated
> the N+1 to N relationship explicitly.  Both a unicorn and a werewolf
> are mythical creatures whereas moonshine is not.
> I also hinted at the next relationship that can be used to move beyond
> unicorn.  Unicorn was the mascot for my high school, so for F10 you
> could move from unicorn to any high school mascot that was not a
> mystical creature. Though that's actually not a good out. A better out
> would be Tom Cruise movie co-stars (a unicorn was in the movie
> Legend).
>
> Names like "galaxy" or "night bird" need to be given in the context of
> the "N+1 and  N  are a something,  but N+1 and N-1 are not a
> something" rule.  The naming isn't  random, but its constrained by how
> clever we are coming up with relationships between the names.
>
> -jef

I was not aware of the guidelines you note above. That being said, I
think that Bellerophon could fit, since it is a mythical character and
could then lead us into the domain of sci-fi, which is then wide
open...

Of course, the Six Degrees of Tom Cruise would lead us into some
interesting territory...

:-)

Marc