Icon howto?

Jonathan Roberts jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 1 13:21:07 UTC 2007

Hey, thanks for the reply :D

> Some answers to your questions:
>
> file formats - png for most icons, svg for scalable icons
>
> sizes - 16x16, 22x22, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, the bigger you will probably
> not need

I figure producing them as svg means I can just export to whatever
size I want? Only thing is, when I've exported icons I've already
created, or simply viewed them as svg (thumbnail previews) they
haven't looked as sharp as when I've produced them, instead looking
slightly blurred. Is there any reason why this is? (using inkscape)

> names -
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html
> and icon-naming-utils package, also there is a usefull utility analyzing
> the current coverage (you have to have inherited icon theme though, to
> make use of this) [1]

awesome thanks :D

> index.theme -
> http://git.fedoraproject.org/?p=hosted/echo-icon-theme;a=blob_plain;f=trunk/Echo/index.theme;hb=HEAD (example) and http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

I'll have to check these out....for now I'm just substituting my icons
into echo with the appropriate names to see how they look.

> I am also not sure if this isn't remaking of the high-contrast theme.
> Its in every default distribution of fedora, so you find it easily.

I took a look at these, and the idea is pretty similar. The main icons
I was after though were for the system tray etc in a theme where the
rest of the icons were full colour! The high contrast theme seems to
be missing some of the more common icons for this too, such as
software update/battery/wireless etc.

Maybe I can look into feeding any icons I create back upstream to these people?

The other difference was that while they've made the icons largely
black, I've used a slightly more balanced approach between white and
black in the icons, with an overall lighter feel to them...

Anyway, thanks again for the reply - would love to hear if anybody
thought these icons were of any value :D

Jon