Art Studio Spin?

Máirí­n Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Mon Sep 10 00:55:04 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Is there interest in building a spin which is myopically focused on
> the art designer?
> Is the desktop oriented livecd good enough.. or is there room for a
> yet more focused spin
> for the designer usage case? And if so, can it be done inside the
> existing Fedora repository space without reaching for external bits?

So I did a bit of work around this, this weekend.

And, yeah, I think there are a lot of value-add bits like fonts and
brushes and the like that would make it really awesome. Essential?
Necessary? No, but... I'd be interested in making a spin that is
basically a dream Fedora for me :)

* Here's some of the general planning stuff I did in general about the
spin: http://mihmo.livejournal.com/45531.html

More specifically, here's the wiki page where I started writing down
some plans:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ArtTeamProjects/FedoraArtStudio

What's done thus far:

* Some (quite messy) notes towards a package manifeset:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ArtTeamProjects/FedoraArtStudio/PackageManifest

* I looked for potential fonts we could include. There are LOTS. Some
are pretty neat. Most are not already in Fedora so we'd have to get them
packaged up: http://mihmo.livejournal.com/45152.html

* Michael and I looked through a bunch of clip art from openclipart.org
and picked out some we thought might be good to include (feel free to
pull stuff out you don't think is good enough or push stuff in you think
is great for inclusion):
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ArtTeamProjects/FedoraArtStudio/Clipart

* I went through a ton of Gimp and Photoshop (easily converted to gbr)
brushes looking for Creative Commons Attribution and Attribution Share
Alike brushes. The full list of what I found thus far is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ArtTeamProjects/FedoraArtStudio/Brushes

(One worry - if a brush is sharealike, and i create an awesome piece of
art with it, does that awesome piece of art have to be sharealike? If
so, if we include sharealike brushes - folks using Fedora Art Studio
have to know which are which so they know how to license their
derivative works??? Or does a brush not count unless you make derivative
brushes off of it?)

* Got a small start at finding some CC-licensed textures:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ArtTeamProjects/FedoraArtStudio/PatternsTextures

Feel free to jump in on any of this if it piques your interest!