Fedora 8 Test 2 Icon Review

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Sat Sep 15 08:34:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 06:40 +0200, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I installed Fedora 8 Test 2 last night, and after updating it I took
> some time tonight to take screenshots of the application menus to show
> what the icons look like in a default installation of Fedora (well
> except I installed Inkscape, sorry, I couldn't live without it for that
> long. :) )
>
> Overall, the icon coverage looks pretty good and the icons for the most
> part are pretty consistent, but there are still some icons that have
> problems. They either look fuzzy, or do not fit the icon theme / don't
> look polished. Some of this may be due to technical or packaging issues
> I think? I noticed the puplet icon gets less blurry if you increase the
> size of GNOME panel. But some issues may be due to there not being an
> appropriate icon available or the upstream icon not being that great.
>
> Is it worth it to take some time to make sure the initial set of icons
> in the menus for a default Fedora install all have perfect and
> consistent coverage? Is it possible to address all these issues?
>
> Here's my 'hit list' of icons to address with screenshots, if so:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F8Themes/IconReview_Fedora_8_Icon_Review
>
> ~m

Hi Mo,

many of the blurry icons are from bluecurve (especially those in
'System' menus) which has only 20x20 and 24x24 sets. I think these could
be fixed easily by creating 22x22 set out of 20x20 by adding a 1px
transparent border.

Dunno, however, how to take care of the applications' upstream icons,
whether create a 22x22 icons with same look as the original or whether
make their gnome/mist variants and contribute them to gnome icon
theme...

Also, as we target Echo icon set on Fedora 9 we should also consider
these and decide which applications' icons create in addition to those
in icon naming specs. Should we rather focus on apps in Live CD, or
rather take care of categories (like icon for graphics-raster,
graphics-vector, graphics-viewer, office-wordprocessor,...)?

Any thoughts on these?