rhgb at shutdown

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Sep 16 18:07:22 UTC 2007

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> On 16/09/2007, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <liviopl.pl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm a fedora user for about 2 years now and have never saw RHGB at
>>> shutdown. My guess is that there is no graphical shutdown in fedora.
>>>
>> You'll not see RHGB on shutdown.
>> Why? Because of X11. X11 cannot be running, when system is becomming
>> level 0/etc. (graphical subsystem is down, services are getting down).
>>
>> There are few chances: migration to bootsplash, splashy, usplash or
>> other.
>
> Would there be any possibility of just having a non-verbose shutdown
> option? i.e. just a blank screen?

This is really the wrong list for this discussion. The mechanisms of
shutdown or using RHGB have nothing to do with art. fedora-devel or
fedora-desktop list is more suitable and it has already been discussed
in both.

All services don't need to be shutdown mythologically as it happens now
and some of them can just be killed without any side effect. Someone
will have to look in that which will potentially speed up shutdown.

There has also been some discussions on using splashy and what is
missing currently at

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2007-August/msg00399.html

See some of the related discussions on the same thread for more details.

Rahul