Echo bad

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Sun Sep 16 19:35:19 UTC 2007

Huh, that's quite a long list...

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 21:00 +0200, Mark wrote:
> If were naming the bad ones.. ^_^
> here is a list:
> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/echo-icon-theme/wiki/IconThemeStatus
>
> In Actions:
> BAD = Full first, second and third row.
> In the fourth row only document-save and document-save-as are bad

Here I disagree, I mostly like these... As the not so good ones I see
here document-* (with some better exceptions). But the main issue here
is that smaller sizes are missing or not very well done (in some cases).

> Than i notice some shadow issues.. some shadows are darker than
> others.. example:
> go-bottom lighter than go-last

Yep, shadows are one of the biggest issues (as they are different in
nearly every icon and in wast majority of svgs missing completely).

> Than the media-record icon.. that's just ugly. and there are a dozen
> icons on that page that aren't "isometric at all"

Well, I cannot say I like it, but I cannot say that it is ugly as well.
For me it seems neutral, only the small size is not done very well...
Well, and the border is weird. And the action icons are not isometric
and will not be isometric.

> And to continue the ugly ones:
> system-log-out
I like it, but it will need a lot of love to make it look good in
smaller sizes.

> zoom-* (extremely ugly)
Not very nice, but not extremely ugly either...

> system-shutdown
> and
> system-standby (those 2 look incomplete...)
Yes, I like these (even though the standby one won't be probably used)
but they are incomplete.

> accessories-text-editor (to dark)
From my point of view it is rather light, but has too big shadow.

> preferences-desktop-screensaver (to dark)
well, screen that is turned off is usually dark...

> preferences-desktop-wallpaper (to dark)
same as the above, also many displays I've seen look this way.

> system-software-update (doesn't fit ECHO at all!!)
The small icon is not very well made, I like the big one though, but I'd
rather have a little different type of arrows here (like refresh).

> internet-mail (sorry but it looks strange and too dark take something
> like [1] or [2])
Agreed, needs some love. The [1] is nice, but not isometric, but very
good for reference, the [2] is what I think could be used (with Echo
styling) for mail-send.

> preferences-desktop-pda (looks like a candy... alternative [3] and [4])

The alternatives are too complex. Nice, but not good for a good icon. I
think this one is nice, but perhaps other colours and some gradients
would be better.

> In the category: "Category" i only dislike the following 2:
Hey, the mail asking for comments was here for more than a week and
noone complained, so I uploaded them to git. And actually, the list is
longer than 2 ;-)

> applications-development (to dark)
the darkness must really be subjective - I see at least that the handle
is rather brighter...

> applications-engineering (to dark)
> applications-other (to dark)
again disagree...

> preferences-other (stupid non echo box)
> applications-other (stupid non echo box)
What's non-echo on it? I fail to see the reason here. It's box and it's
carton-paper box. It has echo colours, echo shadows, echo gradients,
echo lightning. What else you expect from echo? No boxes? ;-)

> preferences-system (looks like candy again)

It's the handles, isn't it... They use quite strong candy-like colours.

> And for just some others:
> text-html (i ABSOLUTELY hate that icon. i see it with all my php files
> and it doesn't fit the rest of the default fedora theme at all.. nor
> does it fit the echo theme. it's again to dark and to much shadow on
> the paper.)
Well, again, I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. The Bluecurve
globe must go.

> package-x-generic (like said before.. it just doesn't fit the echo
> theme and it's to dark)

same as the other icons with the box.

> Oke about all the echo stuff in general. it seems like the echo icon
> theme consists of 2 themes. one light and one dark(er). Fedora always
> seemed to be more on the darker side but Fedora 8 seems to be a light
> colored os. So to make it fit nicely i thing the icons should be light
> colored as well.

Well, now we have bright theme, in F9 there can be again dark theme, we
do not know and we do not restrain ourselves in this way. An icon theme
should fit both. I don't think that light and darker icons make two
themes, in real life there are also dark and light things at the same
time ;-)

> Echo (in it's current state) also has some consistency issues.. look
> at the shadows in these pictures [5] and [6]. now what shadow is the
> one that should be used?

Agreed. I'd suggest to use the [6] one. IMHO, looks nicer.

> And last but not least. I'm sorry if i insulted anyone with my critics
> on some icons.
Well, hate is rather strong word, but for my part, I can get over it :)

> I would also like to help out a little with those icons.. i will see
> what i can do (playing with inkscape now)

Looking forward it :)

Martin