Nodoka issues

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Sat Sep 22 08:39:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 09:28 +0200, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> I've installed Nodoka on F7 and I've noticed a few issues, both
> aesthetic and technical.
>
> 1) Highlighted menu options appear light gray on medium gray.
> http://ivazquez.fedorapeople.org/images/nodoka-menu.png
> (slight aside: medium gray is used in other places to indicate a
> disabled item. This may result in some user confusion.)
>
> 2) It is difficult to see which window will get focus when they are
> tiled or nested and Alt-Tab is used to switch.
>
> 3) Unfocused tabs seem just a bit too dark. Or maybe too saturated.
> http://ivazquez.fedorapeople.org/images/nodoka-tabs.png
It is a packages incompatibility problem... The package from F8 does not
work in F7. If you rebuild it (rpmbuild --rebuild
gtk-nodoka-engine-0.6-2.fc8.src.rpm) or build from sources then the
above mentioned issues should be fixed.

> 4) (purely opinion) The caption buttons might look nicer moved 4 to 6
> pixels to the right.

I am not sure I understand what you mean? The button on the left or the
buttons on the right? Or something completely different?

> 5) The packages are misnamed. They should be gtk2-engine-nodoka,
> gnome-theme-nodoka, and metacity-theme-nodoka.

gtk-engine-nodoka as in gtk-engine-murrine. No point in changing already
used naming schemes.

nodoka-theme-gnome is used because the main name is nodoka theme
(similar scheme to beryl-gnome, which is metapackage pulling all gnome
related beryl bits in), so I put it in the front, noone mentioned it as
an issue in the review request, also there are currently no naming
guidelines for that AFAIK.

nodoka-metacity-theme as in {echo,tango}-icon-theme.

I looked at various theme packages that were in the repos and decided on
these names after. If there are any guidelines concerning this, please
forward me to them, if not it would be good to create ones, what do you
think?

Thanks,