Is it possible to make the bettery icons scripted?

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 21:00:34 UTC 2007

2007/9/30, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <liviopl.pl at gmail.com>:
> Martin, better go asleep.
> You had very good idea, but implementing it, even if it wouldn't be
> hard, will make batteryScrip "eat" CPU and RAM ;) .

I have to disagree on the CPU and RAM part.
Lets do some simple math.
Todays notebooks have arround 3 hours of battery time.

3 * 60 = 180 minutes == 100% (fully charged battery)
So those 100 steps i described earlyer are (in battery time): 180 / 100 = 1.8
So the image would be refreshed once every 1.8 minutes.

Now i'm not aware of the CPU and Memory usage of "on the fly" SVG
generation but if that's high than you can also just use the script to
generate the png images and use them than it won't even use more cpu
or memory than the current battery applet does. Currently it's
changing the icon about 4 or 6 times (didn't count it) from 100% till
empty.

So no it won't eat up more CPU or Memory than the current applet if
it's made properly (with caching(?)). It will only eat up a little
more hard disk space because it simply uses more icons.