Fedora 10 theme ideas

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Apr 2 15:29:42 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> One of the ideas some Red Hatters had on our bus ride into work this
> morning was to code name F10 "neon" (neon being the 10th element in the
> periodic table of elements.) The link between werewolf and sulphur is
> that sulphur helps ward away werewolves. The link between sulphur and
> neon would be that they are both elements.

Neon sounds interesting and very prone to animated backgrounds but
before jumping at it it has to be cleared by legal and voted bu the
community :D

> It would then be cool to have a wallpaper with a neon Fedora logo sign
> on it, when it gets dark the neon sign lights up, when it's daylight the
> neon sign turns off.

I may sound negative, but this is not my intention: we just took the
logo out from the wallpaper, now we will put it back? But the effect
sounds *very* interesting.

> The general artwork such as the banners and splashes could be a glossy
> dark grey with very bright thin accents, think accent colors like bright
> Fedora blue, magenta, yellow, and green. We could probably do some
> awesome designs using light painting, eg here are some examples of light
> painting that I did a while back:
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/mairin/2116954288/
> http://flickr.com/photos/mairin/2116954038/
> http://flickr.com/photos/mairin/2116172957/
> http://flickr.com/photos/mairin/2116953396/

Those reminds me a bit about the FC4-era wallpaper:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fedora_Core_4.png

> ====
>
> Another codename that was suggested for f9 but got 2nd place might be
> good for F10 - bathysphere. Do you know what a bathysphere is? I didnt
> but I learned this morning:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathysphere_%28vessel%29
>
> We could come up with some very interesting visual ideas to accompany
> bathysphere, such as underwater aquatic scenes or we could go for a
> really really cool steampunk [1] look (eg
> http://www.datamancer.net/steampunklaptop/steampunklaptop.htm,
> http://www.crabfu.com/steamtoys/diy_steampunk/ (check out the bottom of
> the page!!!), here's some more I think look cool:

I am more into high fantasy than steampunk but I agree, it would be
interesting to have a background like a rough drawing of some ancient gears.

Imagine a steampunk machine producing Fedora spins on DVD :p

And we can expand into an entire techno-magical theme, kind of the
Arcanum game:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/arcanum-of-steamworks-magick-obscura/screenshots