Nodoka suggestions for Fedora 10

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Apr 3 00:01:15 UTC 2008

Mark escribió:
> Hey,
>
> i'm having some suggestions for nodoka in the next fedora version.
> My general idea for fedora is to have the themes polished in F10.
> Nodoka can do a lot to get that done.
>
> Oke for the first one.
> When you hover a button or anything that's nodoka controlled like the
> buttons: minimize, maximize and close. When you put your mouse on one
> of them the image behind it is instantly changing to the hover state
> (or something like it). My suggestion would be to make a effect of it.
> Fade out the old one and simultaneously fade in the new image so that
> you get some nice effects there. Also do this for every other thing
> that has another state when it's selected, hovered etc.

That is very interesting. One thing I've noticed, though, and since
Metacity allows for that, is that if you change the order of the buttons
(using gconf-editor), the properties of the buttons will be inherited by
the new elements in their place. For example, I like to have the close
and minimize buttons together at the upper left corner of the window,
and the menu and maximize buttons on the right corner. The problem with
the current implementation of the theme is that it "locks" the buttons
to the right corner of the window and even though all effects are
"inherited" when they are changed, the "highlight" around the buttons
persists and is locked to the buttons on the right hand corner[1]. Maybe
the first step would be to lock the highlight border to the properties
of the buttons instead of a location in the title bar? (is this even
possible in GTK? [or any other toolkit for that matter?])

> The second one is something i've requested before but never got in.
> Theme the taskbar! fully theme it, not just change the colour but
> really give it a theme. As far as i know this has never been done in
> fedora. I will try to make a mockup of it sometime soon.

This sounds VERY interesting indeed... It also opens all sorts of
possibilities for themes... Like having both the lower and upper panes
have different colors/combinations/highlights, etc. Make launcher icons
stand out as buttons, give a glossy look (or not), etc. And have the
lower panel (with the "Show Desktop", "Window List" "Recycle Bin" and
"Desktop Pager" applets) a completely different, but complementary look
than that of the upper panel. Have the Window List applet have its own
properties so that (as some people do) if a user deletes one of the
panels (to reclaim desktop pace, for instance) and moves the Window List
to "the other" panel, these properties are retained and what not.

> Third.
> A while back i made a mockup of a themed notification message. the
> current one looks kinda plain. The one i had made was one you all
> seemed to like one way or the other but never got implemented. I will
> try to find that mockup and post it again to see if this could find
> it's way in Fedora 10.

I don't remember seeing this one, and I would very much like to see it!

> That's it for this moment. i'm sure i will come with more once i'm
> busy making mockups.
>
> But what is your opinion about those ideas so far and how likely is it
> to get them in Fedora 10?

PS: I hate it having a sense of "good taste" when it comes to graphics,
but 0 talent whatsoever! I would very much like to help the artwork
team, if only with some feedback (as my drawing and graphics skills in
general really suck)

[1]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/thetargos/Desktop/Nodoka-1.png