Nodoka suggestions for Fedora 10

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 13:33:55 UTC 2008

2008/4/4, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 20:08 +0200, Mark wrote:
>  > Oke i made a mockup on the ones i intended to make.
>  > I've only made the bottom bar and the tooltip + a suggestion on the animation.
>  >
>  > Here it is:
>  > http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/6213/fedora10mockupdi2.png
>  >
>  > Critics? Comments?
>  > and most importand: is this possible in the current fedora? (bottom
>  > bar is but the tooltip?)
>  >

> Transparency does not work without compositing which is still broken...
>  As for the desing... The panel is too dark and does not fit the bright
>  Nodoka theme we use as default. Also uses glossy look, which is
>  inconsistent with nodoka. The toolip looks nice, might use more
>  roundness in the corners, personally I'd use same as is set for the GTK
>  widgets. The gradient could be used more consistently with Nodoka but
>  the way it is now is OK. I'd perhaps make the "bubble-connector"
>  asymmetric the current one looks a little strange.

You're right and wrong here.

Right:
- Compositing with Ati or Nvidia (anything except intel) isn't working

Wrong:
- the statement that compositing isn't working.

Did you knew that KDE 4 uses the xorg composite extension? that means
that compositing works on vesa as well! not fast but working. So
compositing _can_ work if the creators of the notification deamon (and
nodoka, you) invest some time to get it in then compositing is always
working! which (to me) is worth the time.. but then again i'm not the
person who is gonna break his head in implementing it. I will send in
a bug report (RFE) for the notification-deamon.

>  Would be good if you sketched a real-world notification like Package
>  blahblah has been updated, or You have new message in your Inbox with
>  icon, buttons, timer and left stripe included to see how the final
>  design would look like.

I can make that. However i probably won't include that timer thing
because i'm still making this with the assumption that the balloon
vanishes after 3 till 5 seconds so i see no point in making it visible
how long you have till the balloon vanishes. and for that left
stripe.. i will see how i make that fit in.

2008/4/4, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro>:
> Mark wrote:
>

> > I left out the round timer thing on purpose because i think those
> > "balloons" should just vanish after a few (3 to 5) seconds. adding in
> > a timer is nice but not needed and makes it look strange. They only
> > need to go when the user isn't doing anything on the balloon, like
> > holding the mouse on it, everything else == vanishing balloon.
> >

>  While I am still in "steampunk" mode: how about some rotating gears as the
> timer, if we go with "Gears" [1] ? Or an ancient looking hourglass.

I will probably leave the timer out till you/martin/anyone else
convinced me of the use of that timer. It's a nice idea but i simply
don't see it's advantage.

>  [1] -
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Gears

Expect a new mockup here somewhere later today.