Nodoka suggestions for Fedora 10

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 16:00:07 UTC 2008

2008/4/4, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:33 +0200, Mark wrote:
>
>  > You're right and wrong here.
>  >
>  > Right:
>  > - Compositing with Ati or Nvidia (anything except intel) isn't working
>  >

> It isn't working on intel either (in rawhide). Compiz freezes ui,
>  metacity with compositing turned on breaks many things. I don't know any
>  other compositing capable managers that work with gnome.

O that.. last time i tried it it seemed to work.. had some issues, yes
but didn't crash.

>  > Wrong:
>  > - the statement that compositing isn't working.
>  >
>  > Did you knew that KDE 4 uses the xorg composite extension? that means
>  > that compositing works on vesa as well! not fast but working. So
>  > compositing _can_ work if the creators of the notification deamon (and
>  > nodoka, you) invest some time to get it in then compositing is always
>  > working! which (to me) is worth the time.. but then again i'm not the
>  > person who is gonna break his head in implementing it. I will send in
>  > a bug report (RFE) for the notification-deamon.
>  >

> Not fast is not an option. Either working fast (and stable) or it is not
>  acceptable as default. Also, AFAIK, whether the compositing is turned on
>  or not depends on window manager (in our case metacity), not gtk or even
>  theme engine.

Ehm.. that "not fast" is on VESA only. and the current fedora rawhide
only works with vesa unless you have an open and supported driver
(intel). When you have fast hardware rendering support (aka a working
driver) than that XComposite suddenly becomes fast.

If KDE can use it for there awsome desktop (not using it btw because
it feels buggy) than it certainly is good enough for gnome. I suggest
you take a look at KDE 4.

>  > >
>  > >  Would be good if you sketched a real-world notification like Package
>  > >  blahblah has been updated, or You have new message in your Inbox with
>  > >  icon, buttons, timer and left stripe included to see how the final
>  > >  design would look like.
>  >
>  > I can make that. However i probably won't include that timer thing
>  > because i'm still making this with the assumption that the balloon
>  > vanishes after 3 till 5 seconds so i see no point in making it visible
>  > how long you have till the balloon vanishes. and for that left
>  > stripe.. i will see how i make that fit in.
>  >

> Not all balloons are here for only 5 seconds. It's not unusual to have
>  it on for about 15 or more seconds.

Yea i noticed with some balloons... and that's a irritating issue. A
balloon should:
1. Say what it has to say
2. Show it the user for a few seconds
3. than get out of there asap!

>  Martin

And i have a nice update on the mockup.

Changelog
- bottom bar fully adjusted to fit the nodoka theme
- notification balloon content is greadly adjusted with a real world
scenario (asymetric thing not solved yet)
- - Added close image in the balloon
- - added orange bar (nice style and can be any colour)
- - added a image of the updates (64x64 fits nicely there)
- - played with font sized and bold
- added the desktop image to the bottom bar (men that image just
doesn't fit that style)
- Changed the bottom bar buttons
- - Made them a bit lighter
- - Made the effects a little more "glowy/glossy"

And you can see the changes in the image here:
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3089/fedora10mockupv02nf6.png

To me it looks really nice now! Hope you think the same.