Nodoka suggestions for Fedora 10

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Apr 4 18:54:39 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada escribió:
> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 21:10 +0200, Mark wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> i'm having some suggestions for nodoka in the next fedora version.
>> My general idea for fedora is to have the themes polished in F10.
>> Nodoka can do a lot to get that done.
>>
>> Oke for the first one.
>> When you hover a button or anything that's nodoka controlled like the
>> buttons: minimize, maximize and close. When you put your mouse on one
>> of them the image behind it is instantly changing to the hover state
>> (or something like it). My suggestion would be to make a effect of it.
>> Fade out the old one and simultaneously fade in the new image so that
>> you get some nice effects there. Also do this for every other thing
>> that has another state when it's selected, hovered etc.
>>

> AFAIK, metacity does not support it. Correct me if I'm wrong. It would
> possible to make these effects of these using Compiz' wm but I have no
> experience in this area and also compositing isn't currently working
> almost nowhere in rawhide (you know, intel is broken a little, and
> nvidia does not support the new Xorg yet).

As far as I know composite can work with 2D only drivers like VESA. IIRC
xcompmgr wasn't particularly slow (though very unstable). I'm not
familiar with the implementation of the Composite extension of Metacity,
or what effects are possible with it. I however am more familiar with
the implementation of XFWM4, and it is lightweight enough to be used
with 2D only drivers such as 2D-only radeon drivers on R500 hardware (or
radeonhd drivers) as well as VESA, with very decent a performance. But
this isn't a discussion for the art-list, but for -devel and maybe
Desktop. Just wanted to point out that you can have composite enabled by
default with 2D-only drivers and have good performance.