revised f9 wallpaper

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Apr 7 07:23:49 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy wrote:

> I've received a few complaints about the f9 wallpaper (it seems the
> sulphur is really unpopular) and I've been experimenting with
> alternative designs for it but trying to keep the same look and feel of
> the rest of the artwork.

I saw my share of complaints too, both on my blog and on fedoraforum,
interesting how those complains happened only after Round 3.

However, and *someone* has to say this, I am concerned about the mixed
message we are sending around, I will serve a quote I just read (I was
offline over the week-end, so I saw it at about the same time with this
thread, even it is a couple of days older), I think you will find this
quote familiar:

"As I said earlier (if anyone disagrees please speak up, maybe I am
alone in this) I think it's far too late in the F9 process to start
changing the graphics - we've already completed all of the core graphics
for F9 and had them checked into rawhide. This week was the devel freeze
for F9 IIRC and it will already be a scramble to get revisions into what
we have in as we get feedback on it. To bring a new idea/concept into
what we already have I think is too disruptive at this point in the
release process, but refinements on the current designs are certainly
welcomed."

> This is one of the ideas I've been working with -
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/0001.png
>
> Do you think it's a good direction? Do you have ideas on how to bling it
> up?

Too bad I was offline and had no chance to speak earlier (all the /temp/
images are gone by now). The version you have blogged about is nice, it
have a similar "soft" feeling with Infinity, so I expect people who
liked Infinity would like it too.
As for the particular implementation, what is the plan for the
wide-screen option, add on the edges or just cut from the bottom? (that
would work too)