gnome splash and screensaver lock dialog

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 02:09:59 UTC 2008

2008/4/15, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 02:16:27PM +0200, Mark wrote:
>  > 2008/4/8, Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>:
>  > > On 4/8/08, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >  >  So i see no point in making it if it's not even gonna be used by default.
>  > >  >  I'm willing to make/adjust the exisiting one from fedora 8 to make it
>  > >  >  fit with the waves but only if a fedora official can promise me that
>  > >  >  it's gonna be in and ON by default (so no ugly plain looks in the lock
>  > >  >  dialog).
>  > >  >
>  > >
>  > > There may be a slightly large debate about this, because I think the
>  > >  artsy lock dialog is disabled by default upstream. However I'm all for
>  > >  this.
>  > >
>  > >  +1 -- ian
>  >
>  > any news here on those splashes?
>  > Current case is still that the F8 gnome splash is used in F9 and the
>  > lock dialog is still the plain ugly version. (tested on fully updated
>  > F9)
>

> The lock dialog defaults to the "plain" version for usability reasons
>  -- that's something that's been decided upstream by GNOME and we
>  probably won't be changing it any time soon.

sad that things so simple need to be done upstream while fedora
patches away anything that might give them patent issues. lust look at
normal codecs that work for everyone (mpeg, mp3 you name it).

>  But *not* making a prettier dialog just because it's not the default
>  seems very silly to me.  After all, I work on maintaining packages
>  that aren't installed by default.  If everyone felt that doing
>  something not installed by default was not worth the effort, it would
>  be a pretty lame distro!

Perhaps you need to go back in the archives for a few minutes. Back in
the fedora 8 development cycle i also requested a themed lock dialog
and it was made in the fedora 8 theme and _should_ be enabled by
default. That promise wasn't kept so i'm not gonna put time in this
particular part until i get the promise that it's actually gonna be
used.

It's just a statement that i'm making here. I'm not gonna put my time
in things that should be enabled by default but are for some reason
(whatever it is) not on. If this is really so hard to get in then
fedora is having policy issues.

>  We even include a blurb in our release notes on how to make the pretty
>  lock dialog show up:
>
>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Desktop
>
>  Anyone who's already followed that guidance will see a pretty themed
>  lock dialog *by default*.  What would *really* suck is for new users
>  to read the Release Notes, follow the instructions, and then see an
>  old F8 lock dialog when they tried it out.

If you don't like my point in this (or Nicu or Ian who seem to have
the same point of view) then feel free to do it yourself. It's easy to
do and i'm sure that there are a lot of people around you that can
help you.

Let me clear it up a little more in my point of view.
Fedora is a nice distribution, no doubt about that, but it has issues
when it comes to uniform theme things. Some things are themed some
aren't and that's the case for as long as fedora is existing. Keep
everything plain or skinned not a mixture like is the case to this
day.