gnome splash and screensaver lock dialog

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Apr 15 08:10:52 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:

> The lock dialog defaults to the "plain" version for usability reasons
> -- that's something that's been decided upstream by GNOME and we
> probably won't be changing it any time soon.

While I understand the point about usability (and appreciate you did the
work and submitted a design - IIRC this in not the first time you do
that), don't you think the root of the problem has to be addressed?
If we think a feature is that bad for usability reasons, shouldn't we
just drop it? Or make the themed dialog more usable or the simple dialog
prettier?
There *must* be a way to have something both usable and pleasant looking.

To me, shipping two dialogs, one that is usable and another that is
pretty is like knowingly ship something broken and just papering over it
a temporary solution.
And I learned sometime you have to break the temporary solution to get
the problem solved properly.