gnome splash and screensaver lock dialog

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 12:38:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:10:52AM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>
>> The lock dialog defaults to the "plain" version for usability reasons
>> -- that's something that's been decided upstream by GNOME and we
>> probably won't be changing it any time soon.
>
> While I understand the point about usability (and appreciate you did the
> work and submitted a design - IIRC this in not the first time you do that),
> don't you think the root of the problem has to be addressed?
> If we think a feature is that bad for usability reasons, shouldn't we just
> drop it? Or make the themed dialog more usable or the simple dialog
> prettier?
> There *must* be a way to have something both usable and pleasant looking.
>
> To me, shipping two dialogs, one that is usable and another that is pretty
> is like knowingly ship something broken and just papering over it a
> temporary solution.
> And I learned sometime you have to break the temporary solution to get the
> problem solved properly.

Just for the record, I don't disagree at all with wanting to have a
prettier lock dialog, I just haven't felt particularly burdened by it.
I'd say, lobby the desktop guys about this and work something out. :-)

This isn't the first time (or the only subproject) ;-) where we start
talking about these changes too late in the release cycle, but maybe
we can get a permanent, mutually acceptable solution for Fedora 10.
However, it ought to be just that, a *solution*, rather than simply
advocating for switching a default without knowing why it hasn't been
that way before.

I'm cc'ing some of the desktop guys personally just because we want to
get their attention -- hopefully they can explain what the usability
factors are, and how we can have a design that meets those
requirements for the future while looking prettier.