Fedora 9.0 CD/DVD

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Apr 24 07:28:03 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 20:46 +1000, ryan lerch wrote:
>> I have taken into consideration the ideas / suggestions discussed
>> eariler in this threasd and an updated version of the art is on the
>> wiki:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/MediaArt/F9
>
> I think these look great.  We need to get something selected and
> polished pretty much immediately, so we'll be able to have discs printed
> and available after release.

Then Paul, you can act as our fearless leader and choose what you like
best and go with it :p

The issue is like that and depend greatly on the printing shop: The
second ("complex") design looks much better but is harder to print, the
first ("simple") is much printer-friendly, while is not bad looking at all.

The second part of the issue is about file formats, if the printer
insists about a vector format and that vector format is PDF or EPS (and
*no* SVG[*]) then the "simple" layout probably can be adjusted to look
acceptable in that format, while for the "complex" layout, I don't think
is possible for us to provide something else than SVG and/or raster (at
whatever DPI values they want).

The last part is related to costs: the "complex" layout have more
colors, will it cost more? Too much?

> Mo, Max said that he ran into the printer at recently and they said they
> were ready to work with us.  What will it take to get this underway?

I think we need the choice above and the exact detail about file formats.

[*] - even if both Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw should be perfectly
able to open SVG files.