Fedora 9.0 CD/DVD

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 24 21:59:52 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> ryan lerch wrote:
>> I have taken into consideration the ideas / suggestions discussed
>> eariler in this threasd and an updated version of the art is on the wiki:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/MediaArt/F9
>>
>> I chose "x86_64 Live CD" as the sample variation because it was the
>> longest string.
>>
>> feel free to comment, critique and enhance these works...
>
> Hey Ryan, it looks like the cd design is only 3.7* inches but it should
> be 4.5 inches right? Where did you get the template?

Okay, here's what's going on:

- It looks like Ryan used the FC5 template, which is what I recommended
he do. Well, that template was actually off. No wonder the fc6 discs
came out with extra space along the edges - we used teh fc5 template for
that!

- I simplified the disc design a lot so there are less colors. The
design we had the most truoble with last year was the disc design; the
sleeve was less difficult. So I thought if we can get the disc right
this year with simple/generic design, then we can just use the same file
and increment the fedora release number and make things a lot easier on
ourselves. I did this design in scribus.

- I used Ryan's design for the sleeves. It looks fabulous printed out.
What I did is removed all text but the stylized 9 and fedora logo, and I
exported that to a 300 dpi png. I imported that bitmap in as the
backgroudn in scribus, and I did all the text in scribus.

It is looking like the scribus color management is going to make things
a lot easier with the printer this release. ( The main problems we had
were color matching. ) I sent these files to the printer today. I'll let
you know when I hear back and if we are good to go:

http://people.redhat.com/duffy/misc/f9-discs/disc%20labels.tar.gz
(includes scribus source files, svg source files for background, and the
eps files for the printer)

The previews of these in PNG format are also in that directory:
http://people.redhat.com/duffy/misc/f9-discs/