[Echo] git screencasts

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Aug 1 17:00:14 UTC 2008

2008/8/1 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>:

> I've just recorded another screencast for the echo-icon-theme git
> repository how-to's. That makes two versions of the "Setting up the git
> repository" screencast (mkv+h264+ass subs and ogv+theora) and one
> version of "Adding new icons to git" [1]. As I am still new to this area
> I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions what to do with the files
> next and which way is better - mkv+h264 or theora wherever (preferably
> in matroska as well) - and whether the subtitle commentary is desired.

Ogg/Vorbis/Theora is preferred.  Most other formats have patent
problems.  I like the subtitles - they will be easier to translate
than audio commentary.  I'm not sure how you get subtitles into
Ogg/Theora though.

> I also noticed that the ogv file causes a lot of problems, one being
> that rawhide totem complains of missing codecs, but plays it fine,
> another that mkvmerge fails to read the file and the same goes for
> avidemux. I tried renaming to ogm or ogg, and whereas both ogg and ogm
> fixes totem and enable nautilus to generate thumbnail, the other issues
> remain unchanged. It seems to me that the file header is incorrect.
> Since mplayer can play it, it is probably possible to fix these issues
> via mencoder, but I have zero experience with it.

Record My Desktop seems to be adding a "skeleton" track to the Ogg file

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Ogg_Skeleton

mplayer doesn't know what do do with a track of that type either but
at least it doesn't throw up a annoying dialog.

Jeff