FUDCon Brno banner

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 19:05:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 15:15 +0000, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> That's cool -- would it be possible to move the city landscape up a bit,
> and fit in a description like this?
>
> "FUDCon Brno
>  2008.09.05 - 07"   <-- Does that make sense as a European notation?
I'd use 5. -- 7. 9. 2008 or 5. 9. -- 7. 9. 2008 (but I am not 100% sure
about that either). IIRC there should be non-breakable spaces after the
dots, not sure around the n-dash. We usually don't add starting zeros to
the "dot notation" (if used with spaces). If you want to go with the
other sorting I'd probably not use dots (slashes would be probably best)
and I am not sure how to correctly express ranges in that notation. If
you'd like to go without spaces, use slashes, i.e. 5/9/2008 -- 7/9/2008
(I'm not sure if you can omit month/year).

But generally, in Czech Republic we are used to the little endian format
with slight preference for points over slashes.

Martin

PS: don't take my word for granted, even though I am Czech I don't
remember the exact typographic rules for writing dates and date ranges.