Good practices for images - was Re: Wallpaper Extras

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Aug 8 11:21:05 UTC 2008

Vara Prasad Pepakayala wrote:

> I need to appen this section... this is my image...
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Pink_for_Pink.jpg ..

This is a good looking flower, but I think you can make it better
following some "good practices" (I don't venture to call them "best
practices"):

- even some people disagree, I think a bit of digital alteration is
useful and will improve your image (we are not uber-experts, so our
photos do not come perfect from the camera). Look as a comparison to
your image: https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/8/8c/Pink_for_Pink.jpg
and my slight alteration: http://nicubunu.ro/pictures/Pink_for_Pink-nicu.jpg
I adjusted color levels and curves a bit (see a couple of paragraphs
about this in my portraits tutorial:
http://howto.nicubunu.ro/portraits_touch-up_gimp/) and increased the
sharpness (the original image had a larger resolution, you resized it
and this made it a bit blurry, so sharpen to compensate for resize).

- your photo has a 1280x800 resolution, which is probably the screen
size of your laptop (and is widely used on cheap-to middle priced
laptops). However, a lot of other people have larger screens and for
them a larger photo is more useful. You have a powerful camera, so you
can produce photos with a large resolution (a wallpaper sized down looks
better than one sized up). Of course it is a good thing to not leave the
photo at the size produced by the camera (which is huge), but 1920x1200
looks like a good balance.

- as you probably know, JPEG uses lossy compression. However, leaving
the photo at 100% quality will produce a very large file size. In my
experience, you can reduce the quality to 95-97%, have a considerable
smaller file size and still acceptable quality.