[F10 themes: round 2] Gears: lot of gears

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 13 18:17:36 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 19:08 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>> Here's my try that I showed you in IRC today. It's very blue :) It seems
>>> more cyberpunk than steampunk. I may try a different approach to give it
>>> a more steampunk feel.
>>>
>>> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/gears-blueswirl.png
>> Which I think is a very cool looking image, I like it very much. And of
>> course I am curious to learn about your ideas about a more steampunk feel.
>>
>> We may have a winner here.
>
> It does look pretty cool.  I tried it on my desktop and have a couple
> observations, although I'm concerned these fall into "eye of the
> beholder" category.  Please take with a grain (or 1000) of salt.
>
> * The blue's a bit intense or saturated for a background, maybe a bit
> too much toward the violet -- although I *do* like the idea of varying
> the shade of blue, in the way that F8 was more aqua, and F9 is more
> indigo.

I totally agree with this. When I tried it as a wallpaper I noticed the
same thing. I made a less saturated version but I made it only for the
aspect ratio of my monitor; it's easy enough to recreate if we want to
use it though; I tweaked the blue channel of the image using the curves
tool:

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/gears-blueswirl-normal2.png

Re: the colors - they should be easy enough to adjust. This monitor I
have at work, I think the colors are a bit off so I may need to adjust
when I get home where I think my laptop lcd surprisingly has better colors.

> * The multitude of gears is AWESOME.  It might be nice to make them a
> bit more faded and subtle, but I wonder if that might lose detail to a
> point of losing the theme.

Yeh. I am thinking maybe some clever fade-in fade-out might make it more
suitable for a desktop background. Another idea I had was make some kind
of keyhole shape in a much more solid/less distracting gradient, and
punch the hole (or wholes) through so you can see glimpses of this gear
work behind it. It might be a really cool effect, but I also think it
would take it even further towards the cyberpunk end of the spectrum
than steampunk. :)