[F10 themes: round 2] Gears: lot of gears

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 22:26:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 01:18 -0400, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E1ir=EDn_Duffy_
wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > Maybe they could be made more sparse for the desktop but dense for the
> > banners/splashes for the rest of the artwork set?
> >
> > Or maybe we could have another focus besides just gear cogs?
>
> Well here's another couple iterations:
>
> I made this weird gear gadget thingy (modeled after watch internals)
> using Nicu's gears and some custom other thingys:
> http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/gears-blueswirl_steampunk3c.png
>
> Also liked how the background was a bit more subtle behind it so I made
> a copy without the weird watch thing:
> http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/gears-blueswirl_steampunk3d.png
>
> I also attached the SVG source for the new gear arrangement.
>
> ~m

What could I say... The recent takes in the gears theme is simply
awesome. I am myself torn between

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/gears-blueswirl-normal2.png and
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/gears-blueswirl_steampunk3c.png

While I think the all-blue one is less distractive and would work better
for a wallpaper, the one with the widget is basically impossible to
ignore. One thing that catches my eye is the colour of the gears in
background (in 3c). Also the distraction created by the complexity of
the wallpaper is IMHO too big (too much of detailed gears, IMHO).

Perhaps try a combination of both (blurry blue gears in background and
the widget in the front) and more de-focusing of the gears in
background?