Echo for F10? [was: Re: [Echo] One Canvas workflow + making commits easier]

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Thu Aug 28 16:58:14 UTC 2008

Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 15:46 +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>>
>>> What about the percentage of coverage you're going to see on a fresh
>>> Fedora install, in all apps etc?
>>>
>> That would not be so easy to count... Even for gnome menus its a lot of
>> work...
>>

>>> Is the number higher than the current default style?
>>>
>> Echo is worse in case of coverage percentage than Mist+Gnome, that we
>> know most certainly. But the current default does not cover everything
>> either. Therefore I wonder where we should focus our efforts with
>> coverage - just follow gnome+mist and do the same you did there, or
>> rather focus on the pieces that are missing in gnome+mist (like we are
>> doing now when we try to improve the coverage of gnome menus). I
>> personally think gnome+mist icon themes can coexist pretty good with
>> Echo though final state would be that we wouldn't need those two as Echo
>> fallback themes.
>>
> Hi Martin!
> My concern was mainly that if the new set don't do a better job with
> coverage than the old one, I would consider it a regression.
> - Andreas
Ugh, reading this again I make it sound all snobbish or something.
What I meant was that a consistent system is a beautiful system in the
way that people can actually forget about the icon looks all together
and focus on their function.
Therefore, if you think Echo is the way forward, it might be better to
wait a little while longer until things are in a more release-ready state.
- Andreas