[F10 themes: round 2] Gears: lot of gears

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 15 15:10:27 UTC 2008

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 01:18 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>> Maybe they could be made more sparse for the desktop but dense for the
>>> banners/splashes for the rest of the artwork set?
>>>
>>> Or maybe we could have another focus besides just gear cogs?
>> Well here's another couple iterations:
>>
>> I made this weird gear gadget thingy (modeled after watch internals)
>> using Nicu's gears and some custom other thingys:
>> http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/gears-blueswirl_steampunk3c.png
>>
>> Also liked how the background was a bit more subtle behind it so I made
>> a copy without the weird watch thing:
>> http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/gears-blueswirl_steampunk3d.png
>>
>> I also attached the SVG source for the new gear arrangement.
>
> Not that my voice counts much, but I must say that I liked the earlier
> monochromatic (blue) version much better. I've used it for a few days
> now, and it is very nice.

I actually really liked that one better as a wallpaper too, and I think
it may be a better style for a default Fedora wallpaper because it's so
blue. However the problem is that as soon as we tint the gears blue,
people complain it's "too KDE."

I'm not sure how to get around that, because even though I disagree that
it's "KDE", that perception is not something I think we want and enough
people have made comments to that effect that I think we're going to get
that unless we modify that version of the wallpaper somehow.

My only ideas are different coloring (which I tried above but I think it
doesn't seem as suitable for a wallpaper) or if some additional widgets
can be integrated into it so the gears are just one type of object in
the design, maybe there won't be such a strong association with KDE. I'm
not sure what though. Maybe gears at all different angles and other
things you'd see inside a watch like Robin suggested earlier. Another
idea I had was maybe to create some kind of abstract steampunky object,
kind of like these steampunk jewelry pieces [1] and have that as a focal
point along the right bottom of the wallpaper.

~m

[1] http://www.greatgreengoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/steampunk.jpg