Fedora Design & Creative Team (Art Team reorg?)

Máirí­n Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 16:31:56 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

Just an idea:

The Fedora Art Team's name and focus is more on artwork than UI design.
Folks in Fedora who need help with UI design or potential contributors
who want to help out with UI design might not necessarily link those
kinds of tasks to an art team so they might be a bit lost. What if we
renamed the art team to be the 'Fedora Design & Creative Team,' and the
art team as it is now would be a subgroup of this new design team? Under
a 'design' banner, it might be easier for developers seeking out UI
design advice to know where to go, and for community UI designers to
find a home / a place to get involved.

It would be a little strange I think to form a separate 'design' or 'UI
design' team from the art team, because I think the two need to work
close together to work well, and I don't think the usability SIG is
really appropriate - usability is more the QA of UI design work, you
know? Although maybe the usability SIG could be incorporated into a
larger design team as well...

In #fedora-art earlier today, we were thinking "Design & Creative" would
be good, because design represents the emphasis on following good design
practices and ability to work on UI design work, while creative can
encompass the typical branding and artwork tasks we take on as well as
perhaps in the future expand to sound and video work. Maybe it could be
'Fedora Creative Design Team' to emphasize the nature of the design work
we do (e.g. we're not designing software architecture or anything like
that.)

I was wondering what other art team members think of this idea and if
they would be willing to support a renaming of the team and this
explicit broadening of our scope?

Thanks,