echo icons should not be provided with fedora by default / echo cannot be the default icon set

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek jakub.rusinek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:31:28 UTC 2008

hi,

you know my opinion about echo:

	* it causes mixing of tangoish style and echo, because of well used
tango style and lack of icon in echo
	* they are not complete and they cannot cover some icons because of
hardcoded pixmaps (not to accept is hardcoding echo instead of fixing that)
	* echo looks like childs play

that was my subjective opinion. now some facts (0.3.1-1.fc8):

	* blurry gedit
	* blurry gcalctool
	* non-echo gnome-screenshot
	* non-echo dictionary
	* non-echo file-roller
	* non-echo sound-juicer
	* non-echo gimp
	* non-echo inkscape
	* non-echo gconf-editor
	* non-echo nautilus
	* non-echo gnome-mount
	* non-echo prefferred apps
	* non-echo keyboard prefs
	* non-echo appearance
	* non-echo windows
	* non-echo personal file sharing
	* non-echo date and time
	* non-echo screen
	* non-echo root's password
	* non-echo neat-control (network interfaces control tool)
	* non-echo grub configuration tool
	* non-echo services
	* non-echo authorization
	* non-echo users and groups
	* non-echo sound
	* non-echo firewall
	* non-echo lvm
	* non-echo gtk-help
	* non-echo gtk-close
	* no svgs
	* low visibility of panel volume icons
	* too much of transparency in system-search/whatever it is

what I want you to tell? we cannot use that icons, becase we'll be
mixing styles (that's a fact you must understand).

even if you can stand on your head, you cannot change this.

fedora should follow new fashion of tangoish artwork and should provide
tangoish icons where possible to make its configuration tools integrate
better with gnome (because without rewriting they'll never be
kde-compiliant).

why icons are *so* important? because "love at first sight" may occur.

also, have you even seen ubuntu... ie. hardy heron? it also mixes styles
and don't look so good with this... but ubuntu is not mixing
*perspectives* as fedora is gonna do.

people are happy that fedora has used tangoish icons - they said "it
looks so modern" etc. hylke bons said that in one of his entries.

should we dissapoint them with incomplete bluecurve-inherited bluecurve
replacement?

i don't think so.

tango guidelines are well know. their pallette may look dirty, but it's
yet vibrant and looks good on both dark and light backgrounds. thanks to
the border (part of tango guidelines).

echo contains slight borders, slight gradient and too big contrast of
colors.

i said before, that i think that echo in tango styl would look
interesting and modern, but didn't heard me.

also, you wanted to show some examples of echo's issues.

i've shown them to you, but you haven't even answered me...

ignorance?

fedora is not brought only to you, but to all.

i want you to see the nonsense of echo.