Extension? (was Re: Withdrawal of Fedora Theme contest)

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 5 07:25:55 UTC 2008

Hey Nicu,

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>
>> I am wondering if a week extension would be useful for folks who are
>> still busily working on round 2? (I know it would be a big help to me
>> :) ) We did this for the F8 theme too and saw good results from the
>> extension. What do folks think?
>
> It does make sense, today is the last day and we don't have even *one*
> submission ready for Round 2. We can use the small delay in the Alpha
> schedule as an excuse for our extension...
>
> But a serious question: if people have not worked on their themes for
> one full month, will they work in one additional week?
> Maybe something is broken with the 3 rounds process and we should fix it
> for the future releases?

My excuse is vacation and then being super busy having to catch up after
vacation :( I think maybe we haven't publicized / simply talked about
the rounds enough this time. The back and forth conversation does help
to remind and motivate folks I think. I do feel partially responsible
and I've been quite glad you've picked up the slack with mailing list
deadline reminders and blog posts.

When we pushed back a week for F8, we did get a lot of additional work
in that week so I think it's worth a shot. So I do think it can be
effective.

Some good news, I think Waves is almost ready to meet the round 2
requirements. There was an earlier idea of linking sulphur to the waves
to match the f9 codename so I have been working on some mockups of this.
It just needs an accompanying wallpaper:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F9Themes/Waves#head-98516747c8faef74057e3963e09f522ba7a3ca7b

They do need some further refinement of course but I think they are
developed enough to get a feel for what it would look like. One worry I
have is maybe it is just too dark? But maybe a lighter wallpaper to go
along with it would make the darkness a little easier to take? Maybe it
should use dark blue instead of grey? I'm not sure. Any ideas?