Echo future

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 10:19:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 10:58 +0100, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 23:06 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> >
> >> Martin Sourada wrote:
> >> Easier would be making tango-compiliant theme to play well with GNOME apps.
> >>
> > That would be pointless. We are offering an alternative that is
> > stylistically (coincidentally) in between the tango style and oxygen
> > style. I personally think that Echo can work quite good together (to
> > some extent) with both, while tango and oxygen really don't work
> > together at all...
> >
> Hey Martin!
Hi Andreas,

> I'm not sure I agree that the oxygen-style and tango-style clash that
> hard and we're slowly trying to move closer to the oxygen-style. The
> latest Firefox 3 stuff is a small step in that direction (+ our HighRes
> experiments [1], [2]).

Well, after all it's my opinion... It's based mostly on the fact, that
to me it seems that while tango! focuses more on readability, clarity,
usability and simplicity, oxygen seems to aim to look more realistic and
shiny, while Echo is somewhere in between, but with slightly different
perspective. And yeah, I saw the highres experiments, they look really
great, can't wait for high-dpi screens :) Btw. is the status page at
freedesktop [1] actual for oxygen icons or is there some more fresh
source (I might be comparing outdated versions...)?

> And yeah, I would be rather happy if Livio's flames calmed down a bit
> too and really hope it haven't put the tango-project in a bad light. :/
Certainly not for me. What Livio presents are his opinions and I do not
connect it in anyway to the tango! project (save for accepting the fact
he likes it which is not a bad thing at all).

> >> Some apps are using hardcoded pixmaps, but better are tangoish, than
> >> old-GNOME-1.x.
> >>

> > Hard-coded pixmaps are bad, if you keep fillings bugs about those, the
> > situation might improve for all the people trying to make their own icon
> > themes (and guessing from look at gnome-look.org there are a lot of
> > them).
> >
> It's also mega-important for HighContrast where the interface will be
> quite useless if hardcoded.

Yeah, I totally agree.